The Pew Center's latest report, Teens, social media and technology gives us an insight into some of the macro factors affecting US teen Internet use. Most notably, Facebook has been supplanted as the most popular social network for this demographic.
Headline stats include:
- Facebook usage has declined by 20% to 51%
- It has been eclipsed in popularity by YouTube (a massive 85%), Facebook property Instagram (72%) and Snapchat (69%)
- There's a massive gap between these services and others (eg Twitter = 32%)
- YouTube is more favoured by boys (39%) than girls (25%) as their service of choice
- 45% of teens are "constantly" online
- However, 24% see social media as having a negative effect on them. 45% are ambivalent